Sunday, November 6, 2011

Recent Reading

In an attempt to catch up on my long-ignored blog, here's a list of books I've enjoyed lately.

Non-fiction:

Unfamiliar Fishes by Sarah Vowell
Vowell is one of those writers I will read no matter what topic she chooses. This history of Hawaii is top shelf Vowell. It reads fast and smart and is absolutely fascinating. In the tradition of McPhee, Vowell manage to crystallize a tremendous amount of research and reporting in a highly readable book.

The Poisoner's Handbook by Deborah Blum
A great mix of science, true crime and history! Then NYC medical examiner Charles Norris could be credited with establishing serious, incorruptible forensic science in the United States. His office became the model for replication in a nearly all large cities. With toxicologist Alexander Gettler, they are the first to use chemistry to solve criminal mysteries.

The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean
Fans of Blum's title (above) will also enjoy Kean's homage to the periodic table. But his is much more than just chemistry. It's physics and biology and history and math and even a bit of intrigue too. You don't have to love science to love this book. In fact, Kean has taken an enormous number of great scientific tales--the ones that make everyone fall in love with wonder--and strung them together beautifully in this volume.

Fiction:

The Tourist and The Nearest Exit by Olen Steinhauer
A friend gave me the first, which I tore through and then got in my car to get to a library to get the second, a sequel. Both were excellent. Intelligent espionage thriller stuff -- not my normal cup of tea, but I don't think anyone could read the first chapter and not be at the mercy of Steinhauer until the end. It's unclear, based on the end of Nearest Exit, if there will be a third or not. I hope so since I think he's created a great character that I'd love enjoy another adventure with!

Snuff by Terry Pratchett
The master of the Discworld is at the top of his game. Commander Sam Vimes and his wife are taking a holiday in the countryside. Vimes should be off duty, but evil and ne'er do wells seem to follow him everywhere. This may be one of my favorites!

One of Our Thursday's is Missing by Jasper Fforde
I love writers who can re-imagine the boundaries of his readers' imaginations. I have fallen in love with Fforde! If he writes something, I'm reading it. The same wry humor of Pratchett is featured in all of his titles. Here he returns to his Thursday Next series which began with The Eyre Affair. Fforde turns the tables on his readers as this Thursday is the written Thursday, not the real Thursday. Confusing? At times, but hanging on to Fforde's wild ride is always worth the effort.


No comments:

Post a Comment