Monday, February 14, 2011

Bernie Kosar, Pittacus Lore and I am Number Four

I got taken in by the hype. I seems every time I Am Number Four crossed my radar someone was telling me, "You know, there's a movie about this coming out!" Barely out of the blocks, and already a movie? I should have been suspicious. Novels becoming films were at least an indication that lots of folks liked the book -- even if most of them later echoed the lament: "The book was so much better!" Now that I've read this first in a series of (ugh!) six I can only hope the movie isn't that bad!

Pittacus Lore is a pseudonym for what? A publishing company that launches a book series and a movie simultaneously? Are we now faced with the literary version of the boy band? Is this what the Harry Potter-inspired love for serialized adventure has devolved to? Did a bunch of suits get together and say, "Hey, let's make a Twilight for guys? Best throw in the blond cheerleader, the blond cheerleader's mouth-breathing ex, superpowers, a chase (if you count running in and out of a high school a chase), and some of those dementor-things. And Godzilla! Don't forget big lumbering creature face-off (Sorry about that Bernie Kosar)!  Yeah! It'll be great!"

No comments:

Post a Comment